Top 5 Plastic Surgery Procedures 2013
According to current data collected by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), cosmetic procedures are on the rise. Plastic surgery procedures have increased significantly since 2010. There are no indications that it is slowing down either. In Houston, a large number of plastic cosmetic procedures are performed annually. It stands to reason that in the city as large as Houston, with 4,000,000+ people, there would be a great interest in cosmetic surgery. Most everyone strives to improve their appearance, or certain aspects of their physical appearance, and Houstonians are no exception. We are fortunate in that we have a large number of qualified Houston plastic surgeons available from which to select.
There are quite a few cosmetic procedures that are available to the public, and five that are consistently performed by plastic surgeons in Houston more than all the others. These top five are popular for a variety of reasons. They seem to have the most significant impact on our appearance. They include in no particular order:
1. Tummy Tuck – This is a popular procedure especially among women you have had more than one child. If you have been pregnant or perhaps you have had significant weight gain and loss, the skin across your abdomen may have been stretched. After childbirth or weight loss, the skin may not revert. A tummy tuck is used to lift and tighten the skin. The results are a smooth and flat tummy.
2. Eyelid surgery – This is very popular. Excess skin or fat is removed from the eyelids. This addresses drooping upper lids and bags under the eyes. One reason it is so popular is because the recovery time is fairly quick, and it is a very rejuvenating procedure.
3. Breast augmentation – It probably comes as no surprise that perhaps the most popular form of cosmetic procedure is the breast enhancement. More than 300,000 women have this procedure on an annual basis. The procedure requires the insertion of implants into the bust area to increase the breast size, or to make them more proportional. There are two types of implants used. These are silicone and saline.
4. Liposuction – Liposuction is a procedure used to remove unwanted fat deposits around the tummy, thighs, hips, and bottom. This is another procedure that a large number of men undergo every year. The plastic surgeon uses a thin metal hollow tube called a cannula to suction the fat. It is an excellent way for a surgeon to sculpt your figure.
5. Rhinoplasty – More commonly referred to a nose job, this procedure reshapes the nose and adjusts the nasal profile. Approximately 250,000 of these are performed each year. About a quarter of that total is performed on men.
The popularity of plastic surgery is more than likely going to continue to grow. The procedures are more available, and more affordable. As we age, we want to fight the effects of time. Since we are learning how to lead healthy lifestyles, we want to maintain a balance between how young we feel and how we look. Plastic surgery is a way to reverse a great deal of the aging process.