Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Houston
The tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure for both men and women that removes loose skin and excess fat from the belly. Results yield a firmer and flatter tummy which can be maintained through a healthy lifestyle.
Our board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Patrick Hsu, Dr. Kendall Roehl and Dr. Shayan Izaddoost are annually rated as top doctors in Houston, due to their exceptional results. As it is one of our most popular body contouring procedures, our team successfully performs over 300 surgeries every year in our Houston and Clear Lake offices.
Is Tummy Tuck Right for Me?
Our plastic surgeons recommend tummy tuck to patients who have excess abdominal skin and fat, and an overhanging belly.
It is always recommended that patients be at their goal weight, with a BMI of around 30, to obtain the best cosmetic results as well as reduce the risk of complications. Patients considering childbirth or significant weight loss should consult our physicians, who may recommend delaying surgery until a later time when their weight is stable.
What are the Different Types of Tummy Tuck?
Mini Tummy Tuck
- This procedure is suitable for both men and women who suffer from minimal excess skin which is mainly below the belly button.
- One incision is made along the lower abdomen over the pubic area.
- The primary focus of this type is to excise the excess skin below the navel as well as repair the abdominal wall muscles.
Full Tummy Tuck
- This is the most common form of the procedure and is conducive for patients who have experienced weight-loss or pregnancy-related laxity.
- Incisions are made hip to hip along the lower abdomen, in the pubic hairline with another incision around the belly button.
- Both skin and excess fat are removed from the abdomen to achieve the best improvement in abdominal contour.
- The muscles of the abdominal wall are re-tightened.
- A new opening for the navel is created.
Extended Tummy Tuck
- This procedure is usually required in patients who have experienced massive weight-loss or multiple childbirths.
- A longer incision is made in the lower abdomen from hip to hip and also extends along the flanks in order to create the best abdominal contour possible.
- This enhances the appearance of the waist and flank contour.
- Re-tightens the abdominal muscles.
- A new opening for the navel is created
How is the Procedure Performed?
The tummy tuck procedure is performed under general anesthesia and removes excess skin and fat as well as tightens the abdominal wall with sutures. To minimize scarring, our doctors strategically place incisions as low as possible on the abdomen to ensure it is easily hidden beneath your underwear and swimsuit line.
Our surgeons also take the extra time to reposition and reconstruct your new belly button to ensure that your final results look natural. Drains are inserted to reduce the risk of fluid collections and promote wound healing. Finally, a compression garment is placed to help your body conform to its new shape.
Cost and Financing
Typically, the cost for a tummy tuck in Houston ranges from:
- Mini Tummy Tuck$5, 600 – $9, 500
- Full Tummy Tuck$11, 150 – $13, 000
- Extended Tummy Tuck$10, 000 – $12, 500
The final price is inclusive of the operating room and anesthesia fees, and follow-up visits. The cost may vary if your abdominoplasty is combined with any other surgical procedures such as liposuction or mommy makeover. You will get an accurate quote during your consultation with your plastic surgeon.
Memorial Plastic Surgery accepts personal checks, credit cards, and cryptocurrency. Additionally, we provide financing options to ease the costs for our patients.
Recovery & Results
The abdominoplasty is most commonly an outpatient procedure. Our patients usually go home on the same day as surgery, once they have been cleared by our doctors. On average, it can take 4 – 6 months for your final results to manifest. You can review the chart below for an estimated breakdown of what to expect during the recovery period:
|POST-OP OBSTACLES||ESTIMATED TIME|
|Swelling||4 – 6 months|
|Compression Garment use||4 – 8 weeks|
|Drain use||1 – 2 weeks|
|DAILY ACTIVITIES||ESTIMATED TIME|
|Return to Work & Driving||2 weeks|
|Full body showers||36 hours|
|household chores||4 – 6 weeks|
|Regular exercise & strenuous activities||6 weeks|
Final results will improve your physique, leaving with you a firmer abdominal contour and an improved waistline. Additionally, the procedure can also be combined with the correction of abdominal wall hernias.
For the best recovery, patients are recommended to follow Memorial Plastic Surgery’s post-operative care instructions. Regular follow-up appointments with our doctors will also be scheduled to monitor your progress after surgery.
" Very happy I found this Doctor. Doctor and all his staff are wonderful. "
" Staff was amazing! Hsu was very helpful. I would definitely recommend him. "
" I was extremely comfortable. He was very professional and gave great recommendations. I would defintely recommend him. "
" Dr. Hsu is easy to talk to and takes the time to listen to you and answer all your questions. The staff is also very friendly and helpful. "
" He is very professional, and thorough went over all that would take place during surgery and what to expect afterwards. I would definitely recommend him. "
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I have a tummy tuck after liposuction?
Yes, our doctors routinely perform abdominoplasty following liposuction. They regularly combine these two procedures in order to optimally improve the contour of your waist and flanks. You can discuss your options with our doctors during your initial consultation.
- What other procedures can be performed with a tummy tuck?
Abdominoplasty is among the procedures offered in a Mommy Makeover, which includes breast augmentation, breast reduction, and/or breast lift.
- Can I have abdominoplasty after pregnancy?
Yes, most certainly. This procedure is ideally performed following the completion of all childbearing as future pregnancies and excessive weight gain can alter the final results from the surgery. Our plastic surgeons recommend that patients who have undergone a c-section wait at least 6 months to 1 year before proceeding with a tummy tuck.
- When can you resume working out again after abdominoplasty?
As stated above, unless otherwise instructed, patients should be able to resume strenuous activities and exercise 6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery.
- Can I have a tummy tuck after liposuction?
*The content and images on this page are provided with the sole intention of educating potential patients on the procedure discussed above. Results vary per individual and are dependent on our doctor’s consultation prior to the procedure. We strongly recommend undergoing a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon prior to scheduling and undergoing any surgical or non-surgical treatment.